Re: Straightforward printing help urgently needed

Tom Zych <tztemp08@pobox.com> wrote:

I just bought a Canon BJ-200 printer and I'm trying to get it
working with Debian. There's a tremendous amount of stuff to learn
about: CUPS, Foomatic, PPDs, etc etc. It would probably take me
days to wade through it all and make sense of it. I don't have
days; I have to print some resumes and cover letters, NOW.

Can anyone point me toward a step-by-step howto, for Debian,
OpenOffice, and GhostScript, that will simply tell me what I need
to do?

If you are using Potato, visit http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/ and look in the peripherals section. An article describes how to install and configure the Ghostscript and Apsfilter package. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get Apsfilter to work in Woody, but Magicfilter works fine and is almost as easy to install. At the command line (with root permissions) type 'apt-get install magicfilter'. This will also install anything else that might be needed (eg Ghostscript). When magicfilter is installed, type 'man magicfilter' for documentation. Read the section on 'running magicfilter from lpd'.

I have also got CUPS to work by just following the documentation.

hth,

Chris.

--
Chris Lale   <ctlale@netscape.net>
Using a PC running Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 and Netscape 7.0