reseting dpkg ?

Hello all,
can anyone tell how to reset the state of the packages to reset what the
system to what it currently is ?
After selecting way to many packages (through deps)  in dselect and Ctr-C-ing,
I don;t know how to make dselect (in fact dpkg I think) forget about the
choices I made and reflect the state of my system. Instead of that, it
insists on installing 500+ packages and desinstalling 200 of them.
I tried to remove all my apt-sources and select all the available pkgs (which
in my mind would have been the installed packeages) but it only made matters
worse.

So I stopped using dselect and just use apt-get but it is not really as
practical (in paticular when it comes to suggested packages).

Thanks for your help

David