Re: Xwindow problems ASUS A7N266-VM board (nForce)

* Rob Weir (rweir@softhome.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:41:07AM -0700, Cam Ellison wrote:
> > I just installed this board, and downloaded the driver and the GLX
>
> It's not really a solution, but are you aware of the nvidia-kernel-src
> and nvidia-glx-src packages in Debian?  They handle building the kernel
> modules etc for you and also keep dpkg in control of your system...

I was not aware of these.  Thank you very much for the info -- it
gives me a place to start.  The latest event, after running mrproper
and reconstructing the kernel, was the appearance of "can't find
nls_437.ver" when I tried to make NVIDIA_kernel.  One thing after
another.  I'll get those source packages, and proceed.

> > Attempts to start X fail:
> > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
> >
> > Modprobe gets a list of "unresolved symbols" messages, including the
> > NVdriver module (I'll save the others for another message).
>
> It's possible that this is because you have the wrong version NVidia
> modules for your kernel.  The drivers are binary-only Proprietary
> Crap(TM), and have to be recompiled for each kernel you use.  That said,
> I am using them quite successfully, and re-compiling their drivers for a
> new kernel isn't any sort of hassle when using the nvidia-<blah>-src
> packages.

I don't doubt that they don't line up, although the Nvidia package
seems to be built on 2.4.18, which is what I am using.  There is a way
to specify the header files, which I have not done yet.  I'll follow
your suggestion first, though.

Thanks again

Cam

--