network configuration

--- Robert Ian Smit <robian@wanadoo.nl> wrote:
> > write.  I took a few guesses based on the man page:
> >
> > auto eth0-work
> > iface eth0-work inet dhcp
> >
> > auto eth1-work
> > iface eth1-work inet dhcp
>
> I think that getting rid of "-work" will help you a great deal in
> getting it to _work_.

You're right.  Taking that out "worked".  The man page was deceiving!
:)  So now I got /etc/init.d/networking to work (with the restart
argument), so what steps should I take to get DHCP to assign me an IP
address?

I tried assigning myself an IP address by using this command I dug out
of the "ifconfig" man page:

ifconfig eth0 address XXX.XX.X.XXX

but I was unable to wget any URLs (that I know are normally available
from this office's connection).  It could be a case of not having a DNS
server specified.  If someone knows of a man page or HOWTO on
configuring network settings in Debian, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks,

Erik