Re: NIC IRQ conflict

Cam Ellison said:
> I have installed a new MB & CPU  (ASUS A7N266-VM & Athlon XP1600), and
> among the problems is that both my NICs are assigned irq 5  (they used to
> be at 10 and 12 on the old board).  Consequently I have no network.
>
> The /etc/interfaces man page makes no mention of irq assignments,
> though ifconfig certainly allows for that.  I cannot dynamically
> re-assign the irq (tried that: SIOCSIFMAP: operation not supported).
>
> Is there a way I can force irq assignment on bootup?

re arrange the PCI careds on the board is the best option.

second best I think would be to go to the bios of the board and adjust
some settings, many BIOSs have the ability to tweak the IRQ settings,
where you can either set an IRQ to be reserved, or in better cases
the ability to force an IRQ upon a particular PCI slot.

but changing the order of the cards, perhaps swapping with another
PCI device(soundcard, scsi etc), may help

also be aware that some boards are designed to share IRQs between
certain slots(most common - the AGP slot, PCI slot 1 and the PCI slot
5 can share an IRQ and it can be difficult/impossible to change this
behavior).

nate