Re: Windows Metafiles

Tom Cook wrote:

> On  0, Dan Hunt <Dan.Hunt@St.Brieux.com> wrote:
> > Sir, I have used "The GIMP", on a Windows Machine. I would try that. I'm sure it
> >  can cut and paste just fine ;)
>
> :-(  I'm afraid not.  I'd tried that already.  The GIMP doesn't seem
> to want to paste metafiles, and even if it did it would save them as
> bitmaps.  I really want my vector graphics...

I've written a windows graphics program that constructs enhanced windows
meta files. The file has a header containing palette information, dimensions,
and a few other things. The rest of the file is GDI (graphics device interface)
commands for drawing primitives such as lines, arcs, fills, text, etc.
The earlier win3.1 meta format is .wmf, and the later winnt/win2k format
is .emf (enhanced meta files). A lot is explained in this book:
  http://www.charlespetzold.com/pw5