Dictionary app recommendation

At the moment I use the Smart Bookmark Dictionary tool in Galeon for
quick lookups.

Ideally I would like to use an application that has a gui and a cli
version and can be used online and offline. But a nice online app
that fits in well on a Windowmaker desktop should be enough for now.

I don't run KDE or Gnome and would like a tool that does not depend
on the best part of either of those environments.

Comparing Freshmeat against the Debian repository didn't offer any
obvious candidates. What should I try?

Bob