Re: Woody kernel 2.4.18-686; ppp & scsi won't work.

I'm having this same problem with ppp. I can get the modem to pick up
and dial but that's it.

Everything works fine on 2.2 kernels and it worked
back in potato with lower than 2.4.5 kernels. I should say it worked with
2.4.3 and 2.4.5 but not with 2.4.9 and above. That was using the Bunk
kernels and at that time the modem wouldn't even pick up the phone.

So if someone responded please post to the list also as Barry isn't the
only one with the problem.

On Saturday 31 August 2002 12:18 pm, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> I am currently running Woody with kernel 2.2.19 and both my dial-up ppp
> connection and scsi system work as expected. I have installed kernel
> 2.4.18-686 for potential use of the USB capability (digital camera).
> Unfortunately, when I restart my machine with the 2.4.18-686 kernel,
> neither my ppp nor scsi system work.
>
> I think this issue may relate to module loading. I see no module in the
> 2.4.18 directory named 'ppp', but there is 'ppp_generic'. However,
> doesn't appear to load when I boot, but after loading it with modprobe,
> the cd-rw is still not recognized.
>
> Please send your responses to: barkatbarry@mindspring.com
>
> I used to subscribe to this list, but I couldn't keep-up with the load.
> I am a fairly novice Debian Linux user.
Earl F Hampton