Re: Woody on Asus A7V333 with Promise FastTrak133 Controller

Paul Galbraith <paul_galbraith@yahoo.com> [2002-08-31 18:50:47 -0400]:
> I've tried to install the bf2.4 flavour of Debian, which looks like
> it's got all the appropriate kernel switches to support my onboard
> fasttrak133 RAID [sic] controller.

Unfortunately looks can be deceiving.  I had the same idea.

> Does anyone have any idea how to force the bf2.4 install kernel to
> recognize my striped drive?  Cheers,

To the best of my knowledge the linux ataraid driver is *almost*
functional.  Enough to tease that it might be working.  But not yet
functional enough to really work at this time.  Unless you are willing
to spend a lot of source code level driver debugging I would advise
not using it yet.  I would wait.  In a month, six months, a year,
sometime soon for sure I am sure it will be fully functional.  Or you
could jump in and debug and make it work and contribute your work so
that other like yourself will have a hardware linux solution.

In the meantime everyone interested in raid has been using the
software raid solution.

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

I know you are talking about disk striping.  But perhaps for you for
performance you just need a large amount of ram for disk buffer cache?
IMNHO striping just makes you twice as sensitive to having a disk
failure.  (I only fly single engine planes for the same reason.  Twins
are twice as likely to have an engine failure.  And the ground
elevation here is higher than the single engine service ceiling of
most light twins.  :-)

Bob