Re: XMMS and the new MP3 patent terms

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 22:36:35 -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 02:51:19PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
>
> | There is a version of ogg123 for the Sharp Zaurus Gnu/Linux based
> | laptop and it is integer based, so that problem has been solved.
>
> The Intel 486sx on the desk next to me has no FPU either.  However,
> the linux kernel has a software implementation of it.
[...]
> My only point being that the above example doesn't prove anything
> relevant, and is just FYI.

But I doubt you can use FPE to decode ogg files in real time, even on
a SA. So, if it works, I don't think it uses FPE. And even if it uses
FPE, this is fine as long as it can play ogg files (in real time) --
well, perhaps not for lower-spec'ed processors.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International