Re: Looking for good usenet binaries downloader

> Hi,
>
> In your oppinion what's the best program for downloading a lot of
> binaries from usenet servers?
>
> At the moment I'm using pan, which is a very nice one, but ideally I
> would like to have something that can combine posts from several servers
> automatically for multipart messages etc.
>
> Some sort of sheduling or periodic download of new files would be a
> plus. Also some sort of handling for daily per server download limits
> would be nice...
>
> Any suggestions are most appreciated! Many thanks for your help in
> advance! regards,
>
> Balazs

I've found UBH to be very useful for this very purpose - it's console
based so you can run it from a cron job. Not sure about the 'reading posts
from multiple servers' part though.

$ apt-cache show ubh
Package: ubh
Section: net
Installed-Size: 216
Maintainer: Itai Zukerman <zukerman@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.5-1
Depends: perl, libnews-newsrc-perl, libnet-perl, libmime-perl,
libstring-crc32-perl
Filename: pool/main/u/ubh/ubh_2.5-1_all.deb
Size: 39190
MD5sum: 4046bf341354d846bfef9172e39c9ba9
 UBH (Usenet Binary Harvester) is a Perl console application which
 automatically discovers, downloads, and decodes single- and
 multi-part Usenet binaries.  UBH provides searching via Perl regular
 expression and a pre-selection capability whereby the user
 can interactively choose which binaries to download.

HTH

Andrew