floppy install problem

I have a debian potato box on which I have decided to do a fresh install of woody rather than an upgrade (I am turning a former wksta into a server and don't need 60% of the packages now on it). The floppy I am using was previously used for another installation and worked well. The problem is that the machine doesn't boot from the rescue floppy. The floppy is "read" briefly - i.e. light goes on - but then it boots the old potato from hd. The boot bios boot order is floppy, cd, hd. The messages on the screen are:

mbr

Any idea why the rescue disk is not being used to boot the system? The machine is an old HP Brio Pentium.

TIA