Re: How do I install the module "snd"?

Moonlite <moonlite56@yahoo.com> [2002-08-31 08:30:10 -0700]:
> Modconf did not list module 'snd'. It had one called
> 'sound' which was described as OSS sound modules.
> However, ALSA is looking for snd, which I can't find.
> Where can I find it, and then how do I make it appear
> in the modconf list?

Not to detract from ALSA, but do you really need it?  I think you are
chasing a goose and it is leading you on a merry chase.

Your first posting said only that you installed debian and did not
have sound.  You need to install a sound driver.  I do not believe you
need to install ALSA at this point.  You may want to install ALSA for
other reasons.  But why go to all of that trouble right now?  It will
just need a lot of installation details and lead you to believe that
setting up sound on debian requires that.  But it does _not_ require
it.

If you install debian and want sound then you need to install a sound
driver.  Check the hardware with 'lspci' or 'lspci -v' or 'less
/proc/pci' and match your sound hardware to a driver and install the
driver.

Wish that was done automatically.  But it is not and you have to do it
manually.  (I have not been able to get kudzu or sndconfig to work for
me.)  Here are different combinations that have been effective for me.
The combinations are many and I hate to even start listing them but I
feel that the examples will increase the potential for understanding.

On a Creative Labs Live! PCI card on many systems.

  emu10k1 -- Creative Labs SB Live!

On a Dell with AC97:

  ac97_codec -- Yamaha YMF7xx PCI audio

On an ASUS and an Intel motherboard with AC97 with these chips.

  i810_audio -- Intel 82820 Chipset AC'97 Audio Controller

Bob