Lilo and Kernel issues Help Please

Hi:

I almost hosed my booting capabilities.

I can boot the rescue kernel 2.2.20-compact from the harddrive.
Unable to make a boot floppy that works though, error durring boot from
floppy... kernel panic does not know where init is.
For some reason, I had to install lilo on the /boot partition and make
that partition bootable.
I can't seem to get lilo back on the MBR ( to contol the booting process)

How do I make a boot floppy and install the appropriate files/dirs
from a kernel-image****.deb. (using kernel-sourc-2.4.16 and/or 2.4.18)

I want avoid using dpkg -i install kernel-image*****.deb?
The reason being is, The only way to boot the system as it stands is from
the Harddrive using this rescue image.(getting to that stage last night
was long and tedious, I would like to play it safe)
Maybe there is a better way too?
Not sure, Looking advice from lilo and kernel hacks...

Thanks

Brian