Re: XFree breaks after Kernel update

On Saturday 31 August 2002 15:16, Matthias Ellinger wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I tried updating my Woody box to the 2.4.19 kernel using the kernel.org
> tar.bz2 and make-kpkg
>
> Everyting seems to have worked well, except that X won't start anymore. I
> use 4.01 with the NVidia.com kernel (apt-get).
>
> XFree86.0.log tells me that screens were found, but that none had a working
> configuration...
>
> I tried using the "nv" driver, but same thing.
>
> Any suggestions?

looks like your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 was re-written for some reason. if you
have a backup copy, replace it with the currently "working" one, and start X.
if not, you will need to either edit the file manualy and repair the "screens"
section. either do it by hand or use dexconf to do it for you.

another way to go is with dpkg :
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

tal.

--