How do I install the module "snd"?

After installing and setting up my Debian system, I
found that my sound didn't work. I've tried installing
ALSA, but every time I try to start it, this message
appears:

No ALSA driver installed
Starting ALSA sound driver (version none):modprobe
Can't locate module snd failed.

I don't know how to install kernel modules without
reinstalling Debian, which is about the last thing I
want to do. I've tried looking for snd.o and haven't
found it. How do I install it and get my sound card
working?

-- Sarah Gould
-- http://www.gouldweb.net/sarako
-- sarako@myrealbox.com