Re: raidhotadd and RAID1

hi ya michael

if your system was not previously running as /dev/md0 ...
you do NOT have "raid up and booting and adding the second disk"

there is no such thing as "raid" on one disk..
( well, within normal assumptions anyway ...

to convert a single disk setup into a 2 or more disk
raid1 mirror .... requires you to
a.  configure your /etc/raidtab
b.  set the 2nd disk as having failed
c.  add new disk
d.  resync
e.  disconnect each disk in turn to see if it still boots into degraded
    mode

for a various list of "upgrading into raid from non-raid howto" from
single disks ( at the bottom of the url )
	http://www.1U-Raid5.net/HowTo/SW-Raid-HOWTO.txt

c ya
alvin

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 tempsch@telia.com wrote:

> thanks for the reply - unfortunately (re)starting from scratch isn't an
> option right now.

*pout*  :-)