Re: displaying accented characters in mutt

Hello,

As this is my first mail on this list, i'd like to introduce myself.
Quickly, i can say i'm a french Debian GNU/Linux user, using a "native"
woody, ie i installed it from cd, not via a potato upgrade.

Being french, i recently had the very same problem, so ... hope i can
contribute ! :)

  En ce jour de jeu, aoû 29, 2002 at 01:48:13 CEST, j'eu l'honneur de
reçevoir une missive de Nori Heikkinen :

>no dice.  i *can* set that one, but it doesn't seem to affect what
>characters show up on the terminal or in mutt.  what is weird it that
>i *can't* set LC_CTYPE.
I can't understand why you can't set thoses variables, but the solution
for me was :
- first, i checked that the 'locales', 'util-linux-locales' packages
  were installed.

- then i ran 'dpkg-reconfigure locales', i (re?)-generated the
  fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15. When asked the default locale, i choosed
  fr_FR@euro.

- after doing it, i still had no accents neither in mutt nor into any
  other console app. Then i thought it may be the terminal. I was using
  'uxterm'. Then i just tried the 'xterm' and now it seems to work
  because i can read this correctly : 'éàâ'.

I'm really not sure i understood how it works, but it works.

I hope it may help you, and i look forward learning from your
experience ... :)

--
Pierre-François Gomez <pf.gomez@free.fr>