Re: XMMS ignores avixmms plugin

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 07:17, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Here is the list of /usr/lib/xmms/Input
>
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          833 Aug 29 21:37 libavixmms.la*
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      2083998 Aug 29 21:37 libavixmms.so*
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        51428 Jul 28 20:05 libcdaudio.so
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        12644 Jul 28 20:05 libidcin.so
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        69412 Jul 28 20:05 libmikmod.so
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       198724 Jul 28 20:05 libmpg123.so
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        64560 Jan 12  2002 libsmpeg_xmms.so
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         8188 Jul 28 20:05 libtonegen.so
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        56932 Jul 28 20:05 libvorbis.so
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         9776 Jul 28 20:05 libwav.so
>
> Also, my goal was for listening to streams, but if that is
> non-functional I'll try Avifile as described at
> http://www.linuxstb.org/radio/index.shtml
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Nate >>
>
> --
>  Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
>  Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and
>  Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           | have instilled in him
>   Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | a terrible resolve".
>              http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           | - Admiral Yamomoto
>

> --

Avifile is already the core of this plugin, if you read the README files
- it has just been reworked to connect to xmms rather than the sometimes
enigmatic aviplayer plogram. While I haven't tried to use the standalone
aviplayer for audio feeds (I find it prone to core dumps when uncertain
about what is happening), I have had much success playing avis, wm[av]s,
as[fx]s and mp[3g]s with MPlayer, complete with putting icons on the
desktop preset for favorite stations so that I can get my news and music
fixes, and it uses linux decoders where available, such as for DivX,
often with more reliable performance. The latest version now also
supports the earlier Sorenson v1 QuickTime codec and RealPlayer codecs.

There are debs available, not all that official and not supported by the
MPlayer team, that take advantage of the fact that MPlayer has switched
from its earlier compile-time optimisation to the system to now using
runtime optimisation. You can apt-get them by adding the following to
your /etc/apt/sources.list:

	deb http://mplayer.nmeos.net unstable/
	deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main

Just make sure that if you do set up the text version MPlayer to run
from the desktop, that you redirect the output to /dev/null, or else it
floods into your X11 error file, and when using it with xfm, in a matter
of seconds it had produced a 30 MB of entries - no matter how large your
disks, when that is happening, you are quickly going to fill your quota.
The choice there is to run it in a minimised [gnome/a/e/x]term to let it
feed its voluminous output to a non-attentive set of eyes.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org