Re: New Debian user here

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 03:54:54PM +0200, Ivo wrote:

> Will I pollute my system to death if I start compiling some of my stuff by
> myself? I'd hate to miss doing the occasional ./configure && make :) For
> example: the first thing I did was download the tar.gz for kernel 2.4.19 and
> installed that, rather than the 2.4.18-5 package I saw available in dselect.

I compile programs from scratch all the time with no problem.  I run
woody, not sid.  I try to use apt-get to manage libraries and packages
that are available via apt ... quite a few really.

Purists will probably tell you that you _should_ make .deb's from
sources that you plan to install; thereby integrating them into the dpkg
system, but I have never bothered to do that; I just install them into a
/local partition and try to keep my libraries .deb/apt compliant.  It
seems to work pretty well so far.

One area of discussion is potato->woody vs woody from scratch;  My main
system is potato->sid->woody, and I think it would benefit from a
scratch woody rebuild, as there are remnants of potato all over the
place, and I occasionally run into dependancy issues which I do not see
on 'woody from scratch' systems.  Now that good woody install cd's are
readily available, I would recommend using those, and will probably wind
up reformatting all but /home and /local (my .mp3 and download
partition) and reloading 'woody from scratch' on this box.

apt-get rocks if you use it well.

enjoy.

aloha,
dave