Re: Powerful diskless client

LTSP? <http://www.ltsp.org/>

> I don't understand enough about Xservers/clients to think through
> the pluses and minuses of this.  Any ideas?
>
> I have built a bootable CD for the box which runs in ramfs using
> timos rescue, but have not yet put the xserver in.  Should I just
> use bootp and not worry about it?

I personally wouldn't use such a powerful machine as a lite X terminal
(such as with LTSP) although if you just had it boot into it's own,
full system using a NFS root filesystem, it would be nice to work
on. IMO bootp is easier to deal with esp. in regards to upgrades than
going to the trouble of burning a new cd, etc.

The first diskless client I made was just that, a full, complete
system that just happened to not have a disk drive in it and I read
about how to do it here:

<http://www.freeos.com/articles/2444/2/1-3/>

Later on I played with LTSP and I've stuck with it because the
diskless-client machine isn't nearly as nice as the machine I log into
via XDM.

But the first time around, with the full system with root a NFS,
though, all and all it worked very well.

Elizabeth