Re: Re: Help with hdparm

MKolb@haitec.de <MKolb@haitec.de> [2002-08-29 09:58:12 +0200]:
> On 28.08.2002 18:57:42 bob wrote:
> > When I get time I will rebuild the kernel without SMP, and with better
> > optimizations and post the results.
>
> It is not the SMP Flag.

I know.  But it is posible that the #ifdef'd code for SMP is somehow
affecting whether DMA is on or off.  Or possibly affecting other
performance.  I expect it to be slightly worse with SMP because of the
semaphore overhead.

> You do not have activated DMA in this kernel (using_dma = 0 (off))

Yes, but why not?  That is the stock bf24 kernel.  Why is DMA off with
the stock bf24 kernel?  Why does recompiling it locally using the same
configuration enable DMA?  I don't know.  I am only reporting the data.

> Can you report me, which North/South-Bridge you have on your FIC SD-11
> Board.

If you have an FIC motherboard you should know to be able to find all
of the specs on the FIC home page.

  http://www.fic.com.tw/fic/products/mainboards/mbspec/sd11/sd11intro.htm

Bob