Re: default X font sizes

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 09:02, nate wrote:
> John Batistic said:
> > I have just completed a Woody install to XFS file system.
> >
> > My default X font sizes are way too big.
> > /etc/X11/fs/config used to control font size, but now has no effect.
> > Renaming fs makes no difference, so default font size is under the control
> > of something else.
> >
> > Where will I find the default X font size setting?
>
> one place to look:
>
> /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
>
> I believe the default is 100dpi, which looks like:
> exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp
>
> you can try to change this to 75 dpi by doing:
> exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 75 -nolisten tcp
>
> be sure you have the 75dpi fonts installed(apt-cache search 75dpi)
>
> then restart X, hopefully the fonts will be smaller, if your
> using a display manager I reccomend logging out, then hitting
> CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart X
>
> nate

I have unsuccessfully tried suggestions by three posters.

The only way that fs/config influences default font size is if I turn
off
# FontPath        "unix/:7100"
in XF86Config-4.

What do I need to do to make the fontserver work as it is meant to?

Incidentally I run gdm, which uses the default font size.

John Batistic