spanish under linux

I am attemping to use linux keymaps to allow me to create spanish characters. I have tried using both loadkeys and xmodmap with commands such as 'loadkeys es'. The keyboard map definatly changes (it in fact changes to the same map that windows uses with proper dead-keys and all) the only problem, is that none of the spanish characters display. if I press ';' the typical key for a ~n nothing happens. If I press "'" the typical deadkey for making accented vowels, the the next key I press is treated as though it was a part of the previous keypress, but again nothing appears.

I would appreciate any help that is available.