Re: X problem after upgrade

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:05:39 -0700 (PDT)
"nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

> Christoph Simon said:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've just updated a pure debian potato to woody. After that, X (still
> > 3) started fine, but the mouse cursor had a colored square around
> > it. I didn't care about it because I planned to install X 4. This
>
> look at the X server documentation on how to turn on the software
> cursor, I bet that will help ..it worked under older S3 cards
> in X3 which showed a similar problem. I think its something
> like "Option" "sw_cursor", but check the docs to be sure

Thanks for your quick response.

I've looked at the manpages for X, Xserver, XFree86 but couldn't find
such an option, only the argument to X "-fc cursor" (the cursor font
is installed and in place) which didn't resolved. I also googled a bit
around and found an argument -swc, but this seems to belong to another
version as X-4 doesn't accept it. In any case, the X server was
working fine with the previous version of debian (potato), so I think
it's unlikely that it is due to the card (SiS). I also think, it
shouldn't be a problem of X-4 because in X-3, the version shipped with
woody, the cursor isn't normal. I think it must be related in how
everything was reconfigured during the upgrade.

Is there any way to find out what X thinks how the cursor is
configured, once it started?

Thanks again,

--
Christoph Simon