Re: cannot get sound on Toshiba laptop

On 2002-08-28 07:09 Jamin W. Collins wrote:
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 06:19:37 -0600
Tom Schutter <t.schutter@att.net> wrote:

> I am in the audio group.
> Settings/Multimedia/Sound, Sound Events tab, Play button gives
> no sound.

Have you tried any mixer applications, such as tkmixer?  Perhaps the
volume levels are low/muted?

I have tried gmix.  All of the settings appear ok.

> ALSA is not installed, but I am not sure exactly which packages
> to install.  Do I need alsa-modules-2.4.x?  All I see are
> alsa-modules-2.4.16-*, nothing for 2.4.18.

ALSA tends to provide better drivers for sound hardware than those
with
the default kernel.  The 2.4.18 alsa modules are in unstable.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Now I need to figure out how to get just the alsa modules from unstable,
and keep the rest of my system at woody.

Do you have a recommended list of ALSA packages that I should install?

--
Tom Schutter
t.schutter@att.net