Re: unstable, just how unstable is it

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 03:44:24PM +1200, Corrin Lakeland wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:56, Charles Baker wrote:
> > I'm seeing some packages in unstable that I would
> > really like, for instance tomcat 4.1.9. But I'm
> > wondering just how unstable is unstable, say on a
> > scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being you must be insane.
>
> Generally very stable, say 2.
>
> HOWEVER
>
> There are some major changes happening in unstable at the moment (Python
> 2.2/3, Perl 5.8, glibc, gcc 3.2).  These mean unstable is likely to break in
> the near future, and when unstable breaks it _really_ breaks.

Ack. The Perl 5.8 transition is only something like half complete (most
popular modules have been shifted over, but there are a lot of fringe
modules still to go), and a colleague at work almost hosed his desktop
configuration beyond repair by accidentally upgrading to GNOME 2.

If you know what you're doing, it's not a problem - I run unstable on
all the machines I use as workstations - but do make sure you know how
to recover from things going wrong.