Re: unstable, just how unstable is it

--- Nick Hastings <hastings@physics.unimelb.edu.au>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Charles Baker <rascharles@yahoo.com> [020829
> 12:58]:
> > I'm seeing some packages in unstable that I would
> > really like, for instance tomcat 4.1.9. But I'm
> > wondering just how unstable is unstable, say on a
> > scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being you must be insane.
>
> Usually I'd say its about 1. Right now, I'd say
> about 3, which for me is
> primarily due to the gnome2 issues.... but I'm also
> using experimental
> archives.
>
> If there is just the odd package or 2 that you'd
> like to install, I'd
> suggest checking out pinning with apt. It allows you
> to grab packages
> from other dists. Have a look at the apt howto for
> info.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nick.

{{SNIP}}

Okay, that's two 1's. I ran unstable before the 3.0
release then decided to stick with the new testing for
a bit. I might try pinning a few packages, but I'm
more of a whole hog type of guy. You know, in for a
penny, in for a pound? None of these are mission
critical systems that I'm considering upgrading
anyway. I think I'll be somewhat prudent and be sure
I've got good back ups first though.

=====
rascharles@yahoo.com
http://www.charleshbaker.com/~chb/