'route add default gw' returns SIOCADDRT:Network is unreachable

but I can ping the gateway. ACtually i can make any type of connections with any
computer on my network. But when i try to ping a host outside, i get the same
'network unreachable' error. the settings for the gateway is also in the startup
files and i get the same 'network unreachable' error at the startup, but eth0
starts up without any problems...

i have recently compiled my kernel to 2.4.18...

what do you think the problem might be?

thanks in advance,
baris

Media Lab Webmail http://webmail.media.mit.edu