Can't access /dev/hdd

When we installed, we put a 20 gig HD as the secondary
 drive on the secondary ide controller (in hindsight I
 could have thought of better ways to do this but the set
 of hands I had was in a hurry and didn't give me much of a
 choice).  I'm now trying to mount this drive,

mount -t ext2   /dev/hdd1   /mnt

and the error message is:
VFS: can't find ext2 File System on dev ide1(22,65)
mount: wrong file system type, bad option, bad superblock
 on /dev/hdd.

A querry with fdisk gives:
fdisk -l /dev/hdd
/dev/hdd1
boot*
start 1  --  end 2637
blocks  19935688
id = 83
system = linux

I believe at install I partitioned and formated is the
 drive bad?