Re: * Installation of woody fails (corrupted deb)

Andrew MAIER said:

> Hi,
>
> I am a first time installer of Debian (but not of Linux), and I yesterday
> tried to install Woody on an alpha. Booting from a CD went fine I
> configured keyboard, disk and network and everything seemed to work fine
> until the package the installer tried to install
> console-data_1999.08.29-24_all.deb. This failed because the installer
> claimed that this package is corrupted.

I would check the integrity of the file by mounting the ISO and
extracting the deb to see if its ok. on linux this would usually
be accomplished by mount -t iso9660 /mnt/mountpoint filename.iso -o loop

on other platforms ..don't know off the top of my head.

on debian, theres a package called alien which can be used to
convert deb/tgz/rpm/more? to each other's formats. quickest way
would be to use it to convert to tgz to see if it can convert..
there is a manual way to extract the debian packages, but I
forget how and searching google doesn't come up with much

I downloaded one of the netinst bootable cds, burned it in
cdrecord, and every system I tried it in it didn't boot, so
I wouldn't be suprised if your ISO had a bad file ..

nate