Re: redefine the $%$%// caps-lock key to something useful?

on Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:29:59AM +1000, Cameron Hutchison insinuated:
> Once upon a time Bruno Boettcher said...
> >
> > it was possible to specify directly in the XF86Config to map the
> > caps lock to another ctrl, so if someone could be kind enough to
> > point me to the correct docu, or how that option is spelled....
>
> I dont know how to do it from XF86Config, but I have the following
> in my .xmodmaprc which is loaded from my .xsession with the command
> "xmodmap $HOME/.xmodmaprc":
>
> ---
> clear Lock
> clear Control
> add Control = Control_L Control_R Caps_Lock
> ---
>
> This does away with caps lock altogether (I never use it), and makes
> the caps lock key another control key.

or, if you've got root and want to do away with it globally, just
reconfigure X -- there's an option in there to turn off caps lock
and/or make in behave like another control key.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/daily.html