Re: newbie trying to install an application

Thanks for the help!

Yes, I was trying to start xmms from the console.  When I used alt-F2 within
the kde desktop to issue the "xmms" run command it started.

My other problem was in configuring xmms and putting my userid in the right
groups.  Kent West helped me out here.  (I emailed him off the list.)

For the configuration I needed Device = /dev/cdrom and Directory = /cdrom.
After I added my userid to groups cdrom, audio, and disk it worked!

Thanks,
Peter