Re: ethernet card looks for wrong IP

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Slootbeek, Jule S wrote:

> I just arrived at school, and wheni plugged my computer into the
> network, it detected my 192.168.*.* at home, and it wouldn't find my
> school IP, thus i can't get online...how do i set my IP to school? or
> better how do i have my card autodetect the new system? thanks, ps i'm
> using debian woody.

Replace your eth0 entry in /etc/network/interfaces with

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and your IP address should be delivered by DHCP.  Depending on what your
setup at home is (i.e. on whether you have a DHCP server) this may break
your IP assignment there.

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*