Gdk-Warning

I've been using Sylpheed 0.8.1 for a while now and decided to upgrade to
the latest 0.8.2. I compiled and installed it using "./configure
--enable-gpgme", "make" and "make install" as I've done a dozen times
before. However, now when I try to start Sylpheed, I get the following
error:

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **:     ISO8859-1

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 220 (gdk_font_ref): assertion
`font != NULL'
failed.

I wiped out Sylpheed and recompiled 0.8.1, thinking it was a problem
with the new version, but I'm now getting the same errors on 0.8.1.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? I've tried installing tons of fonts
this morning, but I've not gotten anywhere. I'm running Debian 3.0 and X
3.3.6.

TIA,
Jacob

--
Windows:

32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit
operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written
by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Linux:

The ultimate windows patch.

http://www.linux.org/