apt-get update + upgrade => java screwed OR apt-get downgrade ???

Hi !

I'm running woody and just did an apt-get update + apt-get upgrade
resulting in a few security upgrades (from last 2 weeks approx.) being
performed.  Did a reboot just to make sure and everything seemed to be
fine.

I now seem to have problems with java apps though.  In particular with
Netbeans: it starts up and as soon as I try to modify something in the
open project, the entire app locks up (0% CPU usage).  I'm using Sun's
JDK 1.4.0_01.

Questions:

1. Has anybody had this problem and do you know of a solution ?
2. How can I back out of an apt-upgrade ? (I didn't take note of what
exactly was upgraded ... where are the logs ?? - Is it just a question
of installing the previous version.)

Taa in advance,

Andy