Re: dselect BUGS

On Fri 23 Aug 2002, Colin watson wrote:
> I don't think it's that simple. Replaces: just means that package A
> contains some files which used to be in package B. This should not cause
> package B to be removed, and dselect doesn't really need to be aware of
> it at all.

I checked the "Debian Policy Manual" and found the following:

  If an installed package, foo say, declares that it replaces another,
  bar, and an attempt is made to install bar, dpkg will discard files
  in the bar package which would overwrite those already present in foo.
  This is so that you can install an older version of a package without
  problems.

This may be one way in which dselect "doesn't understand 'Replaces:'"
(by blindly overwriting the installed files with the new ones).

But if it is dpkg that handles the "Replaces:", as the manual suggests,
then dselect may not need to understand it!?

Not really sure what is going on.
Aurelio.