Re: evolution won't start - PLEASE, URGENT HELP NEEDED

This one time, at band camp, Ing. Vladimir M. Kerka said:
> Dne pátek, 23. srpen 2002 00:21 Dale Hair napsal(a):
> > On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 16:54, 31HIMEL wrote:
> > > I was using evolution quite happily until a few weeks ago.  Then
> > > after an upgrade it will not start and gives the following error
> > > messages:
> > >

> > > evolution-shell-WARNING **: Cannot access Bonobo/ConfigDatabase on
> > > wombat: (IDL:OAF/GeneralError:1.0) libpng warning: Application was
> > > compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.1 libpng warning: Application
> > > is running with png.c from libpng-1.0.12 libpng error:
> > > Incompatible libpng version in application and library gdk_imlib
> > > ERROR: Cannot load image: /usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-error.png All
> > > fallbacks failed.  See /usr/share/doc/gdk-imlib1/README.fallback.
> > > libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from
> > > libpng-1.2.1 libpng warning: Application  is running with png.c
> > > from libpng-1.0.12 libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in
> > > application and library gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
> > > /usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-default-dlg.png All fallbacks failed.
> > > See /usr/share/doc/gdk-imlib1/README.fallback.
> > >

> > > Can anyone please tell me what I should do to rectify the
> > > situation?  As far as I can tell, there are no missing
> > > dependencies.
> >
> > This happens to me also and the only way to start evolution is after
> > a reboot.  I'm using woody with evolution and galeon from unstable.
> > Evolution and libcamel0 is on hold for upgrade because of
> > dependencies.
> >
> > I had this problem about six months ago also and it cleared up after
> > several dist-upgrades.
> I wrote several hours ago: "1. restarting the system produced no
> success for me 2. I have 1.0.8-4 installed, but the error messages
> shown above resist, what am I to do? I really need Evolution, it was
> my main mail client
>
> Please, help me.  Thank you all" but no one answered me to help.
> Please, please, if any of you have clue, write it.  Many thanks to all
> Vlada

I'm guessing you're running Sid on wombat - it's a little bit rocky
right now, with the transitions from libpng2 to 3, perl 5.6 to 5.8,
gcc2.95 to 3.2, and soon a python change.  I expect quite a lot of
breakage on my box running Sid in the coming weeks, and if you  don't
want that, now might be a good time to either track Sarge, or defer
upgrading for a bit.

As for your problem, it's caused by the libpng change.  It looks like
one of oaf, bonobo, or gdk-imlib failing, although I'm not sure which -
my guess would be gdk-imlib.  Follow the advice of the error message,
and read /usr/share/doc/gdk-imlib1/README.fallback - it has some advice
about how to patch it temporarily.  Take a look at bugs #156528 and
#157794 - I don't know that they'll be much help, but at least you're
not alone.

Good luck,
Steve
--