Re: lexmark Z65 on debian?

ernst wrote:

Hi all

I have just got a lexmark Z65 and now I can't print to it. I have search
the net for info, and some sites says the printer i linux compatibel,
others says just win\mac.

The printer is installed on a windozeboz (as a network printer, it's
attached to the net directly), and has beed given the ip
x.x.x.x, but when I ping or nmap, I cant find it, but it still prints from
windoze? I'm confused :)

Er, I'm confused. Is it attached to the Windows machine, or is it directly attached to the network? Does it have a NIC in it or attached to it? How exactly did you give an IP address to it?

I suspect it's connected to the Windows box via a parallel or USB cable. In this situation, you can't print from the Linux box directly to the printer. Instead, you print from the Linux box to the Windows box which then prints to the printer. In such a situation you have to get Samba involved, and I never could make such a setup work (albeit with real printers, not "host-controlled" printers) after several weeks of trying, but you might have better luck.

On the other hand, if the printer actually has a NIC attached to it, it should work, but before chasing this path give us more info.