Re: Ext3?

On 25 Aug 2002, Josh Rehman wrote:
> > You can use any kernel you like with Debian. Either compile it "the
> > Debian way" or else download the source and compile it directly, which
> > is what I do myself.
>
> I am, alas, only a Linux-Guru Wannabe (LGW), not an actual Linux-Guru.
> This implies that for me, at this moment, I must rely on a given
> distribution for a pre-built kernel, and on a mailing list for focused
> assistance. Perhaps in the future I can shed my status as an LGW and
> compile my own kernel from source, but not today.
>
> With kind regards,
> Josh Rehman, Linux-Guru Wannabe (LGW)

I certainly wouldn't claim to be any kind of Linux guru, but compiling a
kernel is really pretty simple. You just download the source, e.g from
www.kernel.org, unzip it in a directory to which you have r/w access
(with tar zxvf), and go into the resultant linux directory. There are
good instructions there in the README for how to proceed; but doing
either "make menuconfig" or (in X) "make xconfig" produces a nice
menu-based display in which the various choices are explained quite
well.

Of course, you will then have to get lilo to use the new kernel,
supposing you use lilo to boot; I can't say anything about this because
I boot via dos using loadlin.exe.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic