Re: Xserver error when starting kde

On Saturday 24 August 2002 13:46, Bradut Boghita wrote:
> I have just installed Debian Woody on an older Pentium. Whenever I
> start Kde, xserver crashes when loading peripherals. I haven't got any
> problems when running TWM for example.
> thanks for any help
>
> Paul

I had this problem, and I know how I fixed it, but not why.

I originally had the machine set up to use the VESA Framebuffer driver,
and it behaved as described.  I could not find any error messages or
other indications of failure.  KDM worked, but when starting KDE it stopped.
The peripherals it is talking about BTW are X peripherals, keyboard mouse
sound and screen.  Then I changed to use the proper driver for this card
which is a SIS630, and suddenly it worked.  I have no idea why.

Somewhere some piece of code is loosing error information that would be
useful, and I do not know what and why.  It might be worth lodging an
bug with KDE but the KDE bug system only accepts errors for KDE 3.0 and
above, which is of course a problem for Debian users.  You could log
the bug with the Debian Bug tracking system, but I suspect the answer
will come back - wait for 3.x.

Sorry I can not be more help.

David