cd burner write slow down

I bought a Plextor 40(write) 12(rewrite) 40a(read) cd writer model number
PX-W4012A. It works fine under Debian 3 stable with the 2.4.18 kernel now
that I have the ide-scsi.o module loaded, there's just one thing.

In gtoaster, I set the write speed at 40, but when gtoaster starts writing, it
drops back to a write speed of 24. I haven't tried any of the other burning
frontends yet, and I haven't used cdrecord manually from the console yet. I
was just wondering if anyone else has experienced write drop backs like this?

Thanks