Re: Newbie with X problems

Kent West <westk@acu.edu> [2002-08-23 23:38:31 -0500]:
> Both setups use a default color depth of 16. The Mandrake setup uses the
> plain VGA driver, whereas the Debian setup uses the NVidia (nv) driver
> with framebuffer.

> >	Driver		"nv"
> >	Option		"UseFBDev"		"true"

I have spent extensive time recently debugging this exact same problem
on a GeForce2 GTS and have concluded that the "nv" driver does not
function with the framebuffer enabled.  At least that is the light
switch that does it for me.  However the proprietary "nvidia" driver
does work fine with framebuffer.  But turn it off with "nv".

If you reconfigured as Kent suggested, this time choose the other
option to disable the framebuffer and see if that works.

HTH
Bob