Re: How to install NVIDIA Geforce 4 and SoundMAX audio on woody ?

B T wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to install Xfree86 v.4.1 (woody/debian v3.0) on a dell
> Dimension 4500 PC which comes with a NVIDIA GeForce 4 video card.
> However xf86 fails with "no device detected" and scanpci  reports
> and "unkown NVIDIA" device.

Don't know if this helps, bu I think you need to download nVidias own
modules.  I've not (yet) tried it on debian, but it works with mandrake
and I guess X is mostly the same.
  Basicly I just installed the to packages (rpm since it was mandrake
but ordinary tar exists), adjusted the x config file to the new driver
(vnidia instead of nv etc.), and it worked.

There's an old mini-howto that might be usefull, at least take a quick
scan.
	http://games.luv.asn.au/lsd/nvidia-mini-howto.html

> The other problem is with the integrated SoundMAX sound card. Could
> you please tell me what drivers to use for these. i810_audio does not
> work ! . I am not using ALSA or OSS, do I need to ?

Can't help you on this part, sorry.

// Emil