Re: Easy way to find the right software?

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 02:43, Thomas Schultz wrote:
> I am new to Debian and Linux and I am currently running Debian parallel to
> my Windows partition to see if it is worth the switch.
>
> The main problem I encountered so far, is to identify the right programs to
> use for any given application. There are so many packages out there - and it
> seems there is an infinite number of ways to do a given task - that it is
> just way too slow and inefficient to go through all of them. It would be
> great to have a place recommending applications which are stable and easy to
> use - sorted by application type. Or even better, a site which has a rating
> system for widely used applications.
>
> This would make the transition much easier for lazy windows users like
> myself. And maybe it would help me identify the uncounted number of
> applications that I managed to install already, most of which are silently
> sleeping on my harddrive.
>
> -- or maybe all of this exists already, and I was just too lazy to find it??
> In that case, please help a poor soul and point me to the right place.

I believe freshmeat.net contains ratings for *some* of the software.

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            26/3 Annandale Street   Tel: (0131) 558 9990
Email: shri@urbyte.com     Edinburgh EH7 4AN       Web: www.urbyte.com