Re: OT: xdvi and emacs working together

Joerg Johannes <j-j@gmx.de> writes:

> Hello List
>
> Yes, I know this is OT, but I know also that there are a lot of LaTeXers in
> here...
> I have just downloaded the srcltx package from CTAN, because xdvi mentions in
> its manpage, that CTRL-Leftclick on a position in the dvi file will open an
> editor with the cursor on the right position. After seeting
>
> xdvi.editor: emacs

One option is to install gnuserv and set xdvi.editor: gnuclient.
Then, once you have one emacs running (with M-x gnuserv-start), the
CTRL-Leftclick will open up a new client window that you can get rid
of by pressing C-x #.  The overhead, start time, etc., that you don't
like will not be an issue when using the client.

I think you can also use M-x server and emacsclient, but I never liked
that one as much as gnuserv.

Brian