Re: Book on iptables?

Michael D. Crawford wrote:
Is there a good dead-tree book on iptables? Something that would go into more depth and with more detailed examples than the howtos?

What I want to do is to learn more about security and building firewalls by building a firewall on my home office network from scratch. I realize that there are lots of firewall packages available and it would be quicker and easier to use one of them (and likely more secure) but I think this is something I would like to learn and so doing it from scratch would be good for me.

I've done some reading in the howtos, and have found it all somewhat hard to follow.

I read the book "Firewalls and Internet Security" by the architects of AT&T's corporate firewall a while back, and found it very good. But it is somewhat dated now and doesn't deal with Linux at all.

Thanks,

Mike

You might be interested in the "IP Tables Tutorial". It is available on-line at: http://iptables-tutorial.haringstad.com/. Dunno how far along the learning curve you are....

Cheers,