Re: Grep puzzle. Bug?

Richard Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> [2002-08-20 22:07:09 +0100]:
> I don't seem to be able to get the grep I have ( 2.4.2-3) to search
> recursively.  The man page gives a -r option for this, and this is what
> I've always used with my previous distro.  Is there a bug? Or am I using
> it incorrectly?
>
> grep -r text *.htm
>
> only finds text in the current directory, but this is how I've always used
> it for recursive work.

This is one of those basic FAQs which is common through many unix
commands.  Here is an FAQ from the GNU fileutils page which covers
just that question, but for a different command.  Same answer
regardless.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/fileutils/doc/faq/#Why%20doesn't%20rm%20-r%20*.pattern%20recurse%20like%20it%20should%3f

Bob