Xdm aloows only root to logon

Hi:

  I am using Woody on a Gateway 4200 system. The system was working
  fine, but since I was running both Linux and WIndows I decided
  to put the linux on a 6.4 GB new hard drive (2nd hard-drive.) I copied
  all the files appropriately from  the first drive, and in fact I
  compiled a new kernel. Now xdm allows only root to logon. When I do a
  Ctrl-Alt-F1 and log on, I can do so as a user. What have I done wrong?
  I have looked at the permission of xdm on the new drive, and it the
  same as in the old drive.  Just I am booting from the floppy.

  When I boot from the floppy to the first drive, I don't have this
  problem.

  Thanks.

  Sebastian

--