Re: xserver-xfree86 problem?

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 13:58:45 -0300
Marcelo Chiapparini <chiappa@centroin.com.br> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed woody in a pentium-pro machine with a S3 Virge video
> card and Gnome 1.4. I have installed Xfre86 4.1 and the
> xserver-xfree86 package too, which does recognize the video card.
> However, when I use the mouse just to surf the desktop or tho scroll a
> window, in the desktop appear some very short horizontal lines, white
> or black, depending on the background color of the application where
> they appears on. They appear everytime the desktop is redrawn, during
> mouse activity or in a command window with a blink cursor. How can I
> solve this problem?

I wonder if it's some kind of frequency problem.  This happens on my wife's machine when she runs Linux (woody) but not Windows and only at 1024x768.  That video card is an SIS 6326.  My machine has an S3 Trio 3D 2X and does not have the problem at any resolution.

Possibly xvidtune will fix it.  (I haven't tried it).

Paul Scott